30 March 2011

Patio Dreaming

Cheapside Park
I’m not the outdoorsy type.  Humidity makes my hair crazy, and swimming pools make it green.   Mosquitos love me.  My curvy hips hurt when I sleep on the ground or air mattress.  And, I’m not one of those dainty girls that never seem to sweat; when it’s hot I sweat.  It’s not likely that you will ever find me wearing hiking boots (though I have agreed to try geocaching this summer.   I was disappointed however when my friend told me that this was not an activity that was conducive to sporting my new green espadrilles…). 
However, there is something that draws me outside – posting up with friends and cocktails on a patio.  What is it about the patio that not only makes me brave the heat and humidity, but look forward to being outside? 
For me, the tenor of summer and it’s laid back vibe can be found on a patio.  I love watching people mill about, the warm winds wafting the smell of flowering trees, and thawing out from being cold all winter long, and, okay, I love summer dress and flip flops.
That said, I am exhibiting the early warning signs for spring patio fever, and cannot be quarantined.  Beware, this fever is known to be contagious…

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way. I don't typically long to be outside, but I always long to be on the patio, especially at Cheapside.

    ReplyDelete